Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Topography

Well I flippn' DID IT.
I ran 13.1 miles.  I mapped out my course, measured it with a car, checked the road and weather conditions,  and set out to do it. And I did it. I was slow, I didn't quite hit my target time - but hell, I delivered a 9 lb baby earlier this year so I think I will give myself some credit for getting my butt out there instead of focusing on missing my time goal.

I started strong. In fact, the first 9 miles whizzed by almost effortlessly. I was making amazing time - for me - I thought - whoa girl! Slow down if you're going to hold out! The Husband put the kiddos in the car and met me at some appointed meetup spots along the route - and some surprise spots too! It was great having them yell and cheer and random intervals. I drank water the whole time and sucked down a gross gel that actually had fabulous effect on my disposition as I got a little tired. One of the benefits of running an unofficial half marathon, ie; "The My Own Damned Half Marathon" marathon was that I could sleep in a little extra, go when I was ready, get the kids fed first, and head out on my own time, coordinating around feeding times and naps. I left around 11:45 am. I had hoped to pull in around 2pm with a perfectly respectable 10 min mile average.
Down the river, over the bridge, and thru the woods spanning three towns and tons of delicious fall foliage. The weather was crisp and cool - perfect for running. The visibility was great - just mildly overcast enough so that I was not awash in shadows as I ran along the shoulder of the road. Cars could see me well. 
And so for 9 miles I flew along. And it was good. 

Here's something to think about - TOPOGRAPHY. 

You know, hills? 
A little something I didn't consider to heavily while charting my course. Sure, I knew there was a mild grade in the road near the end. I knew there were a few little hills at the very very end. No biggie, I thought. I've run up hills before. They do not scare me. Well, driving up a mild grade for 4 miles in a truck and running up them straight up for the last 4 miles are glaringly different experiences. Needless to say - I began hurting bad. My excellent 9.5 min miles got slapped in the face as I ground down to a shuffling chuffing huff. But the heck with it. I kept going, albeit slow, I talked myself through it and I FINISHED.  My knees yelled at me, "Hey! You are NOT 20 anymore! Whaddya think you're doing to us?!" I told them to shut up they've been through worse marching around the Appalachian Trails of New England and carrying me through two giant pregnancies. They protested, but I slogged on, er, up. I finished. Shaky, happy, sore. My family cheered. I iced my knees and today I feel fine. 

Next time, yes, there WILL be a next time, I will go in reverse order and give myself the lovely advantage of heading downhill for the first 4 miles. I earned it. ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment